How is iMacros Open Source?

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
jonparish

How is iMacros Open Source?

Post by jonparish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 pm

I've seen the claim that iMacros for FireFox is open source, but I can't find any additional information other than that claim.

Can someone please post links to:
1) The terms of the iMacros open source license,
- I noticed in the firefox code for iMacros, you still include the following header which does not grant typical open-source rights:
/*
(c) Copyright 2006 iOpus Software GmbH - http://www.iopus.com
*/
2) Is it open-community as well? If so, where is:
- the code repository located, or where can we get the source code,
- the development team coordinated,
- the bug tracking database,
- patch submission process,

I think the product is great for what it does, but it would be great if there was a way to contribute back to make it better.

Thanks,
Jon
Tech Support

Re: How is iMacros Open Source?

Post by Tech Support » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your interest in helping out with iMacros!

To answer your questions:

(1) License:

We have not decided on any specific open source license (yet), that means we retain the copyright over the source code (as indicated by the header you quoted). The license for the commercial iMacros versions is available here.

(2) How to contribute:

Source code download: See this post (The same applies to iMacros for Chrome).

Simply send your suggested modifications to info AT iopus.com and it will reach the right developer. We are happy about any feedback. If required, we can give you and other contributors access to our internal trac/SVN.

Best,
Mathias
tomtom

Post by tomtom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:33 pm

I think you will find that this is a very confusing use of the term "open source". By this definition any piece of software that is not compiled (or obfuscated) is "open source" which is not most people's understanding of open source.

For something to be open source it should be released under an open source license: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_license

I cam here hoping to find the source AND license for iMacros for Firefox for use in a project and am rather disappointed!
alex686

Post by alex686 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 am

I think you will find that this is a very confusing use of the term "open source".
Definately confusing!

Dear iMacros Developers, may I create a public GitHub repository with unpacked xpi content so I could hack on the source code with VCS support? If not, what about a private repo?

May I create a custom build of iMacros Firefox addon and distribute it?
iMacros for Firefox: 8.9.7
Firefox: 49.0.1
Pale Moon: 27.0.2

Manage iMacros from your mobile device: https://manage.getbot.ru