Missing first letter of macro name on server drive

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
markdixonrhd

Missing first letter of macro name on server drive

Post by markdixonrhd » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I set the iMacros folder path to a shared server drive that contains some macro files, and when I refresh the macro list in my iMacros for Firefox sidebar, the first letter of the macro filename is missing. For example, localtest.iim appears in the macro list as ocaltest.iim. As a result I am unable to play or edit macros stored on that drive. If I go to the shared drive in Windows file explorer the filenames are fine. Any ideas? Thanks!
chivracq

Re: Missing first letter of macro name on server drive

Post by chivracq » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am

markdixonrhd wrote:I set the iMacros folder path to a shared server drive that contains some macro files, and when I refresh the macro list in my iMacros for Firefox sidebar, the first letter of the macro filename is missing. For example, localtest.iim appears in the macro list as ocaltest.iim. As a result I am unable to play or edit macros stored on that drive. If I go to the shared drive in Windows file explorer the filenames are fine. Any ideas? Thanks!
FCIM...! :mrgreen:
I pick up a "Firefox" somewhere in your Post, but sorry FCI not mentioned I don't read as you didn't bother to read the Forum Rules, oops...!

You are posting in the 'FF' Sub-Forum, meaning that your Pb is specific to only FF but I don't see any mention of IE/iMB/CR where your Script would be working..., OK, no need to create a Duplicate, I will read once you'll have mentioned your FCI... :roll:

Hum, and Welcome to the Forum btw :D , but you would be even more welcome if you had bothered to read the Forum Rules for Required Tech Info to include in your Thread(s) when you want to post to ask a Qt or report a Bug, ah-ah...! :roll:

But hum, I hope you comply quickly with FCI because I'm quite interested by your "Missing first letter of macro name on server drive", I don't think I've ever seen a same/related Thread, so I'm a bit positive to do some Research/Testing for you once I've got all Info, if I can reproduce... :twisted:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Oh...!, sill no Reply...?

Well, sorry but you need to mention which Versions you are using, about your Environment...
=> iMacros for FF v9.0.3/v8.9.7...?, FF51/52...?, OS=Win7/8.1/10...?

- Is the Drive mapped with a Letter from your Win File Explorer or with UNC Naming...? (There are a few Threads on the Forum about Network Drives with UNC Naming but I've never heard of the first Letter being truncated...)

- From the iMacros Side Panel, Right Click on a Macro, => 'Rename', => Can you see there the full Name of the Macro...?

- Do you still see the small iMacros Icon in front of the Macro Name for '.iim' Macros...?
Same Qt about '.js' Macros, and do you get the same Pb with '.js' Macros as well...?

=> A (Temporary) Workaround might be to rename your Macros with '.IIM' instead of '.iim' Extension. (=> Gets rid of the Icon...)
=> 'locatest.iim' = 'localtest.IIM'
(Either from iMacros if the 'Rename' Mechanism still works or from your Win-File-Explorer.)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
markdixonrhd

Post by markdixonrhd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Mozilla Firefox for Windows 52.0.1
iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3

I changed the file extension from .iim to .IIM, the icon does not appear but the first letter is still missing (ocaltest.IIM).

If I record a new macro and save it, as soon as it is saved the first letter disappears again. (I named it testfile.IIM, and as soon as it was saved the name in the macro list changed to estfile.IIM).

The network drive is mapped to a drive letter (Z:). If I open the Z: drive in Windows File Explorer, the macro files appear with the name correctly spelled.
markdixonrhd

Post by markdixonrhd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:04 pm

...and if I try to rename the macro from the iMacros sidebar, the name that appears in the little filename window next to the Rename button is missing its first letter.
markdixonrhd

Post by markdixonrhd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm

SOLVED IT.

If I put the macros in a subfolder on the mapped server drive instead of the root of the mapped drive, it works fine.

Z:\localtest.IIM doesn't work.
Z:\Macros\localtest.IIM works fine.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 am

markdixonrhd wrote:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Mozilla Firefox for Windows 52.0.1
iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3
I changed the file extension from .iim to .IIM, the icon does not appear but the first letter is still missing (ocaltest.IIM).

If I record a new macro and save it, as soon as it is saved the first letter disappears again. (I named it testfile.IIM, and as soon as it was saved the name in the macro list changed to estfile.IIM).

The network drive is mapped to a drive letter (Z:). If I open the Z: drive in Windows File Explorer, the macro files appear with the name correctly spelled.
markdixonrhd wrote:...and if I try to rename the macro from the iMacros sidebar, the name that appears in the little filename window next to the Rename button is missing its first letter.
markdixonrhd wrote:SOLVED IT.

If I put the macros in a subfolder on the mapped server drive instead of the root of the mapped drive, it works fine.

Z:\localtest.IIM doesn't work.
Z:\Macros\localtest.IIM works fine.
OK, perfect for FCI... (Always mention that Info when you open a Thread I don't react otherwise, or only on the first Thread for a new User to be a little bit "nice", euh...!? :twisted: )

One Qt you didn't answer was if you could see the mini-iMacros Icons in front of all '.iim' Macros, but from your second Post about the 'rename' Field, I would think it indeed won't make a Difference...

And hum, some later Qt I had for you was indeed about the Folder Structure (if it was "respected"), so OK, one Level of Nested Folder and Macros appear correctly..., hum, not completely handy for you I would think, as you'll each time have to open some "Fake" Folder before you can see and launch your Macros...

Your whole Scenario/Thread sounds like a Bug to me..., a bit surprised nobody reported it before, but you are on v9.0.3 for FF which is pretty buggy anyway, most "serious" Users went quickly back to v8.9.7, so I guess this was not discovered until you, ah-ah...!

=> Hum, some next Step would/could be if you could revert to v8.9.7 and check if it makes a Diff for Macros in the Root...?
But maybe you won't bother, as you now have a "working" Workaround, ah-ah...!, but hum, check the Forum maybe, v9.0.3 is pretty buggy anyway, the stable Version at this moment is v8.9.7 for FF[47-52], so you don't have anything to lose... (And changing from iMacros Add-on Version on FF only takes about 10 sec, ah-ah...!)
rouge02

Post by rouge02 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:58 pm

This fixed my issue also, glad that I found this thread, very strange bug indeed.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:29 pm

rouge02 wrote:This fixed my issue also, glad that I found this thread, very strange bug indeed.
Yeah, but (F)CIM...! :mrgreen:
In which Version of iMacros for FF did you encounter the Issue...? v9.0.3 or v8.9.7...? (+ FF Version and OS...?)
You need to mention your FCI each time you open a Thread or post for the first time in some existing Thread... :roll:

v9.0.3 for FF is now exactly 1 year old (was released last year on 2016-08-12), I was planning on making a "Summary-Thread" for all Bugs related to v9.0.3 that have been reported during those last 12 months, and it would help to know if the Bug in this current Thread is specific to v9.0.3 or not... :idea:
rouge02

Post by rouge02 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Mozilla Firefox 55.0.1 64-bit
iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3 LEGACY
I had the paths (working folders) mapped to a network drive also.

If mapped directly to the macro folder it will truncate the first character of each subfolder item of the Favorites. i.e. M:\

In order to fix it, I had to put the macro inside another folder "iMacro" and map the drive to that, then update the paths in the settings > working folders. i.e. M:\Macros (where M = iMacros folder).

Thanks again.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 pm

rouge02 wrote:

Mozilla Firefox 55.0.1 64-bit
iMacros for Firefox 9.0.3 LEGACY
I had the paths (working folders) mapped to a network drive also.

If mapped directly to the macro folder it will truncate the first character of each subfolder item of the Favorites. i.e. M:\

In order to fix it, I had to put the macro inside another folder "iMacro" and map the drive to that, then update the paths in the settings > working folders. i.e. M:\Macros (where M = iMacros folder).

Thanks again.
Ah OK, perfect for mentioning your FCI...! :D
Yep, "LEGACY", ah-ah...!, all Add-ons are now "Legacy" from FF55, Mozilla/Firefox is making a complete "mess" of it, is my Opinion...

So OK, you are on v9.0.3 as well, a "little bit surprising" I would think, if you've been using iMacros since at least 2009, as v9.0.3 is pretty buggy and limited compared to v8.9.7 which is the stable and recommended Version, and I was going to ask you like for @OP, if you ever reverted to v8.9.7 if you could post if the Bug in this Thread is specific to v9.0.3 or can be reproduced in v8.9.7 as well, but hum..., that might "screw" your Installation as you are already on FF55 and some User has already reported that v8.9.7 doesn't work anymore on FF55...

I was still on FF54 (v54.0.1) a few days ago, and tried to update FF54 to FF55 but the Update Process for FF is a completely obscure messy Process with some obscure fake Installer/Downloader upon which the User has no Control and I couldn't manage to install FF55 on top of FF54 because I'm not in the Channel eligible to install FF55 yet, all I managed to install was FF57 Developer/Nightly which indeed completely screws both v8.9.7 (Macros Folder Structure cannot even be loaded) and v9.0.3 (Macros Folder Structure gets loaded, but 'Play' / 'Loop' doesn't do anything, same with Batch Files or Boorkmarks, e10s enabled/disabled makes no Difference)...

Mini-"Good" News is that v9.0.3 for FF then apparently still works on FF55, from your FCI... :D
But, hum-hum-hum, I foresee a big-big Storm on the Forum very soon as more and more Users update FF to FF55 while they rely on v8.9.7, OK, this is going to be fun, ah-ah...! :twisted:
rouge02

Post by rouge02 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Yes, we've been using a much older version of iMacros since 2009 (because: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it), and from then till now, we've only now had to update for several reasons.

We didn't realize that the current version wasn't stable, we just updated to the latest one and updated our macros where needed.

This is our old FCI

Microsoft Windows XP Pro 32-bit
Mozilla Firefox 12
iMacros for Firefox 7.6.0.2
Inside of an Oracle VM VirtualBox
I was going to ask you like for @OP
I don't know what that is.

I tried this setup first, but it was too different from what we were used to, and the settings had a lot fewer options to configure.

Google Chrome Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
iMacros for Chrome V8.4.4
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 pm

rouge02 wrote:Yes, we've been using a much older version of iMacros since 2009 (because: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it), and from then till now, we've only now had to update for several reasons.

We didn't realize that the current version wasn't stable, we just updated to the latest one and updated our macros where needed.

This is our old FCI

Microsoft Windows XP Pro 32-bit
Mozilla Firefox 12
iMacros for Firefox 7.6.0.2
Inside of an Oracle VM VirtualBox
Ah-ah-ah...!, love you (well..., behave...!), but you are worst than me...!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yep, of course, "... if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it...", but FF12 and v7.6.0, you must be joking...! Hum, unless you are using some specific Syntax to access and change Settings in 'about:config' that were tightened from FF14...
You could at least have updated iMacros to v8.24/v8.30/v8.40, that was still working on FF10-14, I think, you've missed several years of the 'EVENT' Mode, I can't believe it, ah-ah...!

But hum, a bit less "impressed" by your "We didn't realize that the current version wasn't stable...", ah-ah...!
=> Tja, you should check/follow the Forum a little bit from time to time, especially when you are going to update your System(s) for the first time after euuuuuhhh..., 5 or 6 years, I would think...?
Or maybe longer, I've been using iMacros (for FF) for about 10 years now I think, I started with/around v6.50 I think, v7.60 must be about 8 years old I would think... Hum, sounds a lot, 8 years, OK, maybe 6 years then..., too lazy to check on the Version History Page... :oops:
I joined the Forum in 2013 (4 years ago) to report some "real" Bug about the 'EVENT' Mode related to v8.24/v8.30 I think, that I really couldn't solve/find a Workaround at that time, still not solved btw, but I finally found a Workaround about 3 years later, ah-ah...!
rouge02 wrote:
I was going to ask you like for @OP
I don't know what that is.
"OP" = Original Post / "@OP" = Original Poster...
rouge02 wrote:I tried this setup first, but it was too different from what we were used to, and the settings had a lot fewer options to configure.

Google Chrome Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)
iMacros for Chrome V8.4.4
Hum..., yeah..., Chrome has never been my first Choice, iMacros for CR was very buggy and limited until v8.4.4 which is the first Version a bit stable for CR... (Is now more than 1 year old, I think..., but still works fine for at least 10 different Releases of CR..., from CR50 (but probably even earlier, I would think, I can't keep up will all CR Releases..., and FF stupidly trying to keep up with the Numbers...!), until now CR60...)

But yep, quite some Functionality has never been implemented into iMacros for CR, 'CLICK X/Y' Mode I think (even if hum..., to avoid, not reliable, the 'EVENT' Mode finally implemented in v8.4.4 does the same and a lot more...), '!CLIPBOARD' (hum, bad Practice as well), and hum..., quite a few other Commands as well...

iMacros for FF is still my best Choice, at least v8.9.7 + FF54 as the "recommended FCI for most Users), but I have the "Feeling" a lot of "things" are going to change very soon, because of some crazy/messy Changes in FF55-57 that I am afraid are going to completely break iMacros for FF, forcing Users using v8.9.7 to adopt v9.0.3, which was completely buggy from Day_1, never tested, or was a bit tested with Betas v9.0.1 and v9.0.2 but Dev never did anything with the Results of the Testing, and v9.0.3 is not even maintained, the "Aim" was to release directly some v10.x Version, which again will probably be released in a complete rush without any Beta-Testing and will probably turn out to be as or even more buggy as/than v9.0.3, I'm afraid... :roll:

=> "... if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it..."
=> Hum..., maybe that's the Reason why I'm still using v8.8.2 myself for my Prod Env, ah-ah...!! :twisted:
(+ Pale Moon v26.3.3 (=FF47), on Win10-x64.)
And I think I'm one of the most Advanced Users on this Forum, and I always go for complete Reliability and best Performance, ah-ah...! :idea:

I only maintain some plain FF Env to follow a bit the "Trend" on the Forum with the most common/current FCI to be able to do some Testing for the Forum..., that if some Script works or doesn't work on v8.8.2, that I still get the same Result on v8.9.7... (I never bothered to install v9.0.3..., oh, yep I did on FF57, but hum, couldn't run one single Macro, as the 'Play' Button doesn't do anything, oops...!)
rouge02

Post by rouge02 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 am

Reliably and Performance is what kept us using that version for so long, since we primarily use it to automatically queue up hundreds of financial reports in PeopleSoft... Can't afford to have any mistakes or time setbacks when dealing with critical financial data.

We're currently on a drive to phase out our old virtual configurations and optimize the entire process, so we're gonna see what this latest version has to offer, as well as catch up on all the changes that happens from 2009 - present lol.
chivracq

Post by chivracq » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 am

rouge02 wrote:Reliably and Performance is what kept us using that version for so long, since we primarily use it to automatically queue up hundreds of financial reports in PeopleSoft... Can't afford to have any mistakes or time setbacks when dealing with critical financial data.

We're currently on a drive to phase out our old virtual configurations and optimize the entire process, so we're gonna see what this latest version has to offer, as well as catch up on all the changes that happens from 2009 - present lol.
Hum, I don't remember staying myself very long on v7.60, I guess I was quickly seduced by the 'EVENT' Mode (from v8.24), but honestly, v8.8.2 was and is still the most stable and reliable and most performing Version ever made for FF...

v9.0.3 is definitely not a Version to use for Prod, believe me...!
v8.9.7 is OK for Prod, but I'm still unsure about if it works on FF55, I didn't have a chance to test it myself...

I worked for 1-1.5 years for PeopleSoft TechSupport a few years ago (just before they got bought by Oracle), for the 'Tools - Customization' TechSup Dept, until they kicked me out (pfff..., not ashamed...! :P ) because I was only taking the most complex Cases, and my "Case Solving Stats" were too low because I had to waste one FULL day per week simply calling Customers (a 15-30 min per Call on average, with 30 Cases in my "Queue"), asked by Management to fake-pretend I was working on their Case only to meet the fake SLA... Well, I never fake-pretended, and never got any "Red-Alert" or I don't remember how it was called, but OK, Management only cared about Stats and Time spent on solving a Case, ah-ah...!

But hum, I might be able to help if you need some kind of "Audit" to check if your Scripts are still v9.0.3 (are you sure...!?) or v8.9.7 (much better...!) or even v8.8.7 (is OK as well) or v8.8.2 (YES...!!) "compliant"..., ah-ah...! :!: (v8.8.x in combination with PM, I'm not sure they still work on FF5x...)
Many Commands from v7.60 have been deprecated since..., hum most should still work until v8.9.7 I would think, iMacros for FF has always been very good with Backward Compatibility..., not completely sure about v9.0.3 though...!, there was some "Clean-up" with deprecated Commands which are not supported at all anymore in v9.0.3... (Just saying, ah-ah...!)