Error capturing

Support for iMacros. The iMacros software is the unique solution for automating every activity inside a web browser, for data extraction and web testing.

Moderators: Community Moderators, iMacros Moderators

Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the Google search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed. This will search the entire contents of the forums as well as the iMacros Wiki.
3. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:

CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST

Answering your own posts (e.g. attempting to "bump" your topic) drops your topic from the list of unanswered threads, so it may actually receive less views.

Error capturing

by psmalling on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:42 am

Config info: Windows 7, iMacros v11.5.498.2403, Internet Explorer 11, MS Excel 2013

I've found a post from 2008 where a forum member asked a question about capturing and outputting errors (not iMacros errors) to a file when the !ERRORIGNORE is set to yes but the response was that the functionality within iMacros didn't currently exist.

I have a similar issue where I have a spreadsheet containing a list of staff IDs. My iMacros vba code goes through each ID and performs some actions on a web browser, depending on the status of a staff member different web pages are displayed. What I would like to do is error trap a staff ID in an output file where the iMacros code would have ordinarily generated an error if the !ERRORIGNORE wasn't set to yes.

Does this functionality exist yet?

Thanks in advance.
psmalling

Re: Error capturing

by chivracq on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:01 am

psmalling wrote:Config info:
Code: Select all
Windows 7, iMacros v11.5.498.2403, Internet Explorer 11, MS Excel 2013

I've found a post from 2008 where a forum member asked a question about capturing and outputting errors (not iMacros errors) to a file when the !ERRORIGNORE is set to yes but the response was that the functionality within iMacros didn't currently exist.

I have a similar issue where I have a spreadsheet containing a list of staff IDs. My iMacros vba code goes through each ID and performs some actions on a web browser, depending on the status of a staff member different web pages are displayed. What I would like to do is error trap a staff ID in an output file where the iMacros code would have ordinarily generated an error if the !ERRORIGNORE wasn't set to yes.

Thanks in advance.

Ah-ah...!, good for mentioning your FCI now...! :D

Hum, would have been easier if you had posted directly the Link to the Thread you refer to, but I reckon it will be this one:
- Capturing errors for later review
Hum, and this one would be interesting as well for you, if you want to add a Conditional 'SAVEAS' for a Screenshot (TYPE=BMP):
- Capturing Script errors with iMacros
I've already "explained" a few times how to make a Conditional 'SAVEAS' in pure '.iim', but that would even be easier for you I think, as from your previous Threads, you use a main '.vba' Script where you can put all the Conditional Logic...

But OK, to answer your Qt, I think the Profiler could be the Answer already to want you want, I would think...
(Powerful but is an iMacros (or Browser Profile) wide Setting (not per Macro) and slows down Execution by about 30% is my empiric "Experience"...)

And otherwise you simply include your own Custom Logging in your Macro using a few 'EXTRACT=TXT' placed at the "strategic" Place(s) where stg could go "wrong" in your Script, eventually combined as well with a Conditional 'SAVEAS' if you only want to save the Errors..., or if you want to save them in a separate Log...

And hum, if using a '.vba' Script, I would think that you can use as well 'iimGetErrorText()' if you split your Macro into 2 or more Parts and check for Errors at the "strategic" Place(s) where you expect those Errors, I think you can still retrieve those Errors even if '!ERRORIGNORE' is enabled...

But the Logging Method is good Practice anyway, I use it myself... (combined with a mini-Report at the end of many of my Macros displayed in the 'iimDisplay()' Display Area in the iMacros Side Panel... and/or a Conditional 'PROMPT' as well, ah-ah...! and/or a Conditional Save to the OS Clipboard...).
If you save your Logging to a '.txt' File (not with the '.csv' Extension which will probably be associated to Excel/OO), you can even open your Log File directly at the end of your Macro in a second Tab (with 'URL GOTO')... I have a Solution for a Conditional Tab-Switch and a Conditional Tab-Close in pure '.iim' but I never needed a Conditional Tab-Open (yet), so I never dug into that but I guess it should be possible, based on the Tab-Close Technique (and I could always force the Tab-Open anyway, and use the Conditional Tab-Close to "negatively" close it, ah-ah...!), but it would be even easier for you if using a '.vba' Script, if you want to open and to switch to that 2nd Tab only if Errors were encountered...

Tja, pfff..., all Options I mentioned have always already been implemented in iMacros, and for all Browsers, (hum, not sure if the 'Profiler' already existed in 2008 though, it could have been implemented a bit later..., but the Qt is asked now in 2017...), so there is nothing "new", to answer your "Does this functionality exist yet?"... 8)
- (F)CIM = (Full) Config Info Missing: iMacros + Browser + OS with all 3 Versions...
- I usually don't even read the Question if that (required) Info is not mentioned...
- Script & URL usually help a lot for a more "educated" Help...
chivracq

Return to General Support & Discussions