System Slowdown

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
rmmusa

System Slowdown

Post by rmmusa » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:47 pm

I installed imacros about a month ago and nothing worked when I clicked on the record button. Since it was new, I left it enabled figuring bugs would be worked out and an eventual update would solve the problem.

An update came through yesterday morning. With Firefox running normally, I installed it and restarted the browser. Firefox then ran but at an extreme crawl. In shutting it down, the message was that it was not responding. I went through a few restarts with the same result. I managed to uninstall imacros and upon restarting the browser, it ran normally.

I suspect that the problem is due to an incompatibility with one of my other extensions. Since I can't test imacros due to the extreme slowdown, I can't figure out which of my 72 extensions is/are incompatible.

I was wondering if you keep a running list of incompatible extensions that I could check against.

Thanks

Windows XP Firefox 2.0
rmmusa

Follow-up to my posting

Post by rmmusa » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:41 pm

I downloaded Portable Firefox 2.0 and installed imacros. This is the only extension I have in the portable version. Imacros worked and the system ran normally.

So I conclude from this that I was correct in assuming that there is a conflict with another extension in the non-portable version.

Knowing which extension remains my problem.
Fredy

Post by Fredy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:20 am

Hi. I have a similar problem. Fresh installation of Firefox 2.0, without other extension or themes. Normal using of browser works, but when i open sidebar with bookmarks, it begins use CPU for 50% and Firefox is not responding.

Windows XP Pro SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400@3.2GHz, 2x512MB@800MHz.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:43 pm

rmmusa, do you have some of the "problematic" extensions installed? A list of these extensions can be found at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions - If yes, which one(s)?

Fredy, I have a question for you, too: Just to confirm, is iMacros the only extension you installed? And despite the slowdown, does the extension work (= record and replay macros)?
Fredy

Post by Fredy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Yes, as i said, fresh installation without any extensions or themes. iMacros seems working fine. But opening bookmarks in sidebar and selecting some just do that slowdown and i must shutdown firefox by force. After uninstalling iMacros, sidebar is working normally and there are no slowdowns.
rmmusa

Post by rmmusa » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:44 pm

[quote="Tech Support"]rmmusa, do you have some of the "problematic" extensions installed? A list of these extensions can be found at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions - If yes, which one(s)?

Thanks for responding. The extensions I have that are on their list are:

Adblock Plus
All-in-one sidebar
flashblock
Flashgot
ietab
Stumbleupon (disabled)
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Fredy, you said that the problem starts
...when i open sidebar with bookmarks

How do you do this? Based on your description I assume the iMacros add-on is open and everything is ok. So the problem starts when you open the built-in firefox bookmarks? Can you please describe the steps for this in more detail?
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:33 pm

Can you please check what settings you have under iMacros > Edit Tab >OPTIONS > PATH

The path that points to the macro folder should point to a folder where only your macros are stored. If you enter (for example) "c:\" as path, Firefox will freeze because iMacros tries to search the complete hard disk for macros!

Please let us know if this solves the problem.
Fredy

Post by Fredy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:52 am

Tech Support wrote:Fredy, you said that the problem starts

How do you do this? Based on your description I assume the iMacros add-on is open and everything is ok. So the problem starts when you open the built-in firefox bookmarks? Can you please describe the steps for this in more detail?
No, iMacros is not open. I start firefox and push Ctrl+B to open bookmarks. First few seconds it's good, but then CPU goes over 50% and firefox is not responding. Now i tried display browser history in sidebar, and there is same slowdown.

I checked paths as you said, but everything is pointing to directory in Document & Settings. So this is not a problem.

I now also tried this on another, much slower computer. There is not fresh installation, Windows are installed a year ago. I disabled all the extensions and themes, installed iMacros, restarted Firefox. Then display bookmarks in sidebar and in a few seconds CPU goes to 100% and firefox is dead...
cuseman24

adblock plus

Post by cuseman24 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:41 pm

firefox seems to crash on me occasionally when i run adblock plus. that could be your issue
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 pm

The new release V0.5.0.4 fixes the issues reported in this thread.
rmmusa

Problem solved

Post by rmmusa » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:07 pm

Just a followup to my original postings.

The latest version did in fact solve the system slowdown problem.

The added bonus is that Imacros now works for me.

Thanks!
wachtwoord

Post by wachtwoord » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:44 pm

Fredy wrote:
Tech Support wrote:Fredy, you said that the problem starts

No, iMacros is not open. I start firefox and push Ctrl+B to open bookmarks. First few seconds it's good, but then CPU goes over 50% and firefox is not responding. Now i tried display browser history in sidebar, and there is same slowdown.

I checked paths as you said, but everything is pointing to directory in Document & Settings. So this is not a problem.

I now also tried this on another, much slower computer. There is not fresh installation, Windows are installed a year ago. I disabled all the extensions and themes, installed iMacros, restarted Firefox. Then display bookmarks in sidebar and in a few seconds CPU goes to 100% and firefox is dead...

Would you happen to have the all-in-one side bar addon? As I had the same problem and re-installing all add-ons but that one after a total de-installation of all add-ons fixed it for me.

I just didn't know it was iMacros that caused it.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:00 am

wachtwoord, please note that V0.5.0.4 fixes the issue. There is no need to uninstall iMacros.