iMacros for Firefox compatibility with Firefox 56 and later

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros Firefox add-on.
Forum rules
iMacros EOL - Attention!

The renewal maintenance has officially ended for Progress iMacros effective November 20, 2023 and all versions of iMacros are now considered EOL (End-of-Life). The iMacros products will no longer be supported by Progress (aside from customer license issues), and these forums will also no longer be moderated from the Progress side.

Thank you again for your business and support.

Sincerely,
The Progress Team

Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
chivracq

Re: iMacros for Firefox compatibility with Firefox 56 and la

Post by chivracq » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:18 am

PaulFancy wrote:Wasted waiting, i yesterday changed to the addon "Katalon Automation Recorder". Well done...
Cybes wrote:I've also started using Katalon Automation Recorder now as a result of waiting for this, however it lacks CSV and looping support in their browser-based version, Katalon Automation Studio (which is free!) however does support both of those things. It's recorder has no experimental mode either, but the ability to switch between selectors is very handy too. In saying that, given how well I know iMacros scripting language and how the tool functions, I do wish that Firefox support returned sooner than later.
Yep, I also had a look at 'Katalon' after @PaulFancy had posted about it (I had never heard of it before, ah-ah...!), and I had posted some mini-Feedback in the following Thread (was about 'STOPWATCH')...:
chivracq wrote:About other CR Add-ons, I actually had a look yesterday at some similar Tool like iMacros, hum, more like 'Selenium IDE' than iMacros actually, "Katalon" mentioned by some other User on the Forum, with (Free!) Add-ons for FF and CR, I installed it on FF, and it looked quite powerful to me, to be honest... 8)
I didn't check if it supports a 'STOPWATCH' Functionality but the List of supported Commands is very long, so I guess it probably does...
I didn't experiment a lot with it, only did a few Recordings and playing them back, I found directly several/a bit too many mini-GUI Glitches, and I don't like too much the fact that Recordings (automatically) identify Elements by their XPATH which makes Scripts difficult to follow afterwards in 'Edit' Mode, and very likely to get broken if any Content changes on a Page...

But yep, the Tool ('Katalon') looks very promising and very powerful and worth investigating... :idea:
Other Alternative to mention is 'Kantu' as well maybe... I haven't tried it myself (yet) but a few Users only "swear" through/for it on SOF... :idea:

Mitigating Factor for my "Feedback" is that I use iMacros myself for "pure" Web-Automation and AI, and I find 'Katalon' is more for Web-Testing with Testcases and Test Suites, with as "Aim" to get 'PASS'/'FAIL' Results...
(I couldn't find some '!ERRORIGNORE' Equivalent from some quick search btw...)

=> For the time being, I still prefer to stick to the FCI I use for my "Prod-Env.":
iMacros for FF v8.8.2 + Pale Moon v26.3.3 (=FF47) + Win10_x64. :idea:
Yep, I'm still using v8.8.2 for FF, ah-ah...!! And I'm probably one of the most Advanced Users on this Forum, oops...! :twisted:
iMacros for FF v8.9.7 + FF55 (v55.0.3) is a good Alternative as well, except that the 'FILTER' Command got broken since FF52...

(I've been maintaining a List of EnhReq's in this Thread for about 2 years now, absolutely not a single one got implemented in iMacros for FF, so I don't see any Reason why I should move from v8.8.2 which was/is the most Stable Version, all Versions (for FF) after that Version were only addressing Commands (or the whole Add-on) that got broken by later FF Versions, absolutely no New Functionality got implemented since...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE'/'Trial').
- FCI not mentioned: I don't even read the Qt...! (or only to catch Spam!)
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
Namkce

Post by Namkce » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 pm

I guess IPSWITCH is not interested in providing an update for this..
Supposibly they've been working on a fix since September 2017 but it's now March 2018, and no updates or communication or indication of a status.

Here's my message to the developers of Imacros.
GET TO WORK FIXING THIS AND COMMUNICATE TO YOUR USERS!

I'm forced to use an Extended Service Release version of Firefox that will expire soon. After being a consumer of this product for many years at my organization, it looks like we'll have to investigate a replacement product and re-engineer all our scripts. I would recommend the same for any prospective users of iMacros. It was a great product, but seems to have become abandonware now. :evil:
moumoute15

Post by moumoute15 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

I don't want to stay with an old Firefox version. So I try Imacros for Chrome. Impossible with Chrome free version to do all I was possible with Firefox free version

Start to re-write some scripts with Kantu (on Chrome). Some bugs but this tool is powerful :) I hesitate with Kantalon Recorder and I do some tests with these 2 tools. I chose Kantu because of possibility to have if/else/while statements. But now it is also possible with Kantalon. These 2 tools have a lot of updates.
Karm

Post by Karm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:56 pm

I started Using Katalon too, the time is money and we havent receive any answers from the devs, you guys are the "#1" automation service out there and yet a lot of other services has already deploy their tools to be compatible with Quantum Firefox, i have been working with you guys a lot, even use it at my company and users within the company has bought your product, the thing is that we only has access to firefox due to some policies from IT and we deploy most of our macros via the bookmark tool to all of our employees, please do this as fast as you could, because as i said time is money and we are loosing here, hope to hear any news from Ipswitch.
kmoncada

Post by kmoncada » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:47 pm

I decided to open a chat session with them. Whoever responded mentioned a March release date for FireFox Quantum.

Well... it's April.
BoredFish

Post by BoredFish » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:35 pm

JonWalter wrote:I just opened up my firefox to continue off where I left off last time and my scripts doesn't work.
Seriously...
ravi_npatty

Post by ravi_npatty » Sun May 06, 2018 4:35 pm

I was using iMacros for firefox such that my scripts run at nearly in the level of a add-on. That means, I was doing everything with javascript except page loading and waiting. All clicking, selecting, extractions everything were managed with javascript.

I developed a small library in javascript including local file handling methods, csv file handling etc.
By doing this way, my scripts were running at lightning speed compared to the original iMacros way. csv handling in imacros way is terribly slow. You can understand with the scenario if you need to check if a record exists in csv file, you need to update content, or you need to insert record. Imagine how much time it will take if there are few thousand records? With javascript (direct file reading and parsing it) it is done in a fraction of a second.

When iMacros for firefox version 9 was released, it was a big shock to me. I never anticipated all these power of direct DOM access, imns access, local file access will be taken out. Since locking imacros version to 8.9.7 did solve the problem temporarily, I was expecting some release with all the cool powers. Now no version of this add on works.

I gave a try at enterprise edition (trial version). Since it is working from outside the browser, it is taking too much time for running my scripts. This speed may be OK for those who just record some clicks and play them, not for people like me who develop some real automation solution.

I can confidently say here that, iMacros for firefox add on (till 8.9.7) is much much powerful than its enterprise edition.

Then I gave a shot on Internet Explorer automation (Thanks imacros Enterprise edition examples. It is very easy to move to IE automation from your enterprise edition). Here execution speed was much better (nearly equal to imacros for firefox). I was just missing xpath but that was compensated by querySelectors. When some downloading of files is required, I got stuck (Till now I was managing downloads in the imacros way). Since I am hardcore Linux user, IE automation was not my favorite thing.

Then I came across a word Selenium. I liked the idea of open source and cross platform solutions. Initial learning curve is difficult for me since I had little exposure to java prior to this. I have successfully migrated one of the automation solution to selenium. Execution speed is superb. With selenium, I get much more power like database connection, java frames, file handling and many java libraries like handling excel files. Virtually possibilities are endless. Here also handling download had hit block. However, it was overcome by changing firefox option that it will be directly downloaded to the specified folder without giving the dialog for open with / save (Through code).

I feel, doing things with selenium is little difficult, but it is a better alternative to imacros for firefox.

Sorry folks, if I bored you with my big story. I thought it could be relevant for someone.

Still, I will return to imacros for firefox, if I get same power like in v8.9.7 for its ease of use and quick solutions. Till then, ....
thecoder2012

Post by thecoder2012 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:02 pm

kmoncada wrote:I decided to open a chat session with them. Whoever responded mentioned a March release date for FireFox Quantum.
Well... it's April.
Which year? :shock:
I hope the next update is coming soon. :)
ravi_npatty wrote:I developed a small library in javascript including local file handling methods, csv file handling etc.
With javascript (direct file reading and parsing it) it is done in a fraction of a second.
Everyone can check the XPI file.
ravi_npatty wrote:...java frames, file handling and many java libraries like handling excel files.
You mean really "Java"? Because Java is not the best option for fast development with Selenium and not the easiest way as newbie in my eyes. And very much people says not "Javascript" but "Java". Big difference!
ravi_npatty wrote:Since I am hardcore Linux user
Small hardcore Linux user? :?: :lol:
ravi_npatty wrote:I feel, doing things with selenium is little difficult, but it is a better alternative to imacros for firefox.
All solutions with more programming languages are better! :!:
ravi_npatty wrote:Still, I will return to imacros for firefox, if I get same power like in v8.9.7 for its ease of use and quick solutions. Till then, ....
You can use Pale Moon or Waterfox as main Browser with iMacros because both with security updates.
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me! :idea:
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 am

Hi everyone,

I apologize for not posting the link to this update sooner (it was originally published in the beginning of April):

https://imacros.net/imacros-firefox-beta-coming-soon/

It's looking like the iMacros for Firefox beta will be ready in the next week or two, so stay tuned for details on how you can download it and give it a try.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 pm

The iMacros 10 for Firefox beta is now available, please see the following blog post and subscribe to this thread for more information!

https://imacros.net/grab-copy-imacros-firefox-beta-now/
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
Tom, Tech Support

Re: iMacros for Firefox compatibility with Firefox 56 and later

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:50 pm

bestazy wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 pm
Hi all.
I was going to get after some more uploads to Redbubble since I got my first sale. When I opened Firefox, it had iMacros under the category "Legacy extensions". Basically, since September 23, some kind of mothballing happened, and I cant use it.

Anyone have the same recent experience?
Hi bestazy,

What version of Firefox are you using and what version of iMacros for Firefox do you have installed?

With the official release of Firefox Quantum (57.0) to the general public, older add-ons and extensions (i.e. "legacy" extensions that aren't built with the WebExtension API) are no longer supported in Firefox:
Firefox now exclusively supports extensions built using the WebExtension API, and unsupported legacy extensions will no longer work.
I believe that it was possible to load both types of extensions in Firefox 56, and therefore the older extensions not built with the WeExtension API will be categorized as "Legacy extensions" in that version of the browser.

You should still be able to use legacy versions of iMacros for Firefox (e.g. 9.0.3, 8.9.7) with Firefox 56 and older. If you need to use iMacros in Firefox 57 or newer, then you have to use iMacros for Firefox 10.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
thecoder2012

Post by thecoder2012 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:03 am

New features like executeScript in iMacros for Firefox (v10+) thinkable in the future?
Because EVAL is like executeScript_sandbox in this case.
Join 9kw.eu Captcha Service now and let your iMacros continue downloads and scripts while you sleep. - Custom iMacros? Contact me! :idea:
Tom, Tech Support

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:17 pm

thecoder2012 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:03 am
New features like executeScript in iMacros for Firefox (v10+) thinkable in the future?
Because EVAL is like executeScript_sandbox in this case.
Absolutely!
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support