A guide to sharing macros via bookmarklets

Discussions and Tech Support related to the iMacros Firefox Add-on, including the built-in Javascript scripting interface for playing .js files.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information:CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
Tech Support

A guide to sharing macros via bookmarklets

Post by Tech Support » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:07 pm

The latest iMacros for Firefox release contains the bookmark feature that many of you requested. And since you had to wait so long, we made this feature especially powerful :wink:

Right-click any macro (.iim) to add a reference to your regular bookmarks or to embed the complete macro in your link. This way you can send complete macros by just sending your friend or colleagues a link.

Note: You cannot use this method to share iMacros Javascript (.js) scripts, only macro (.iim) files.

If you have problems posting the long links in a blog or your email, you can use a URL shortening service like Tinyurl.com to run your embedded macro. Examples:

http://tinyurl.com/5cnctp Login macro to secure Gmail

http://shorl.com/bestylodrokuvi Orbitz Flight Search

Social Scripting: The iMacros bookmark dialog gives you the option to add your macros and scripts directly to the del.icio.us social bookmarking service and share it with others. Sharing complete macros instead of only bookmarks is what we (and others) call social scripting. Of course, since the the embedded macro is technically "just" a very long link, the feature works with any other social bookmarking service, too :)

Shared iMacros scripts on del.icio.us - If you have found or have created any imacros (or a blog entry about iMacros...) that you think other iMacros users would find useful, simply tag them “for:imacros” and we will review and add them to our collection for all iMacros users to enjoy:
Last edited by Tech Support on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 am, edited 22 times in total.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Please note that iMacros stores all information locally. Nothing is send to our web server. Please see this interesting post for details: http://forum.iopus.com/viewtopic.php?t=3241
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:20 am

Starting with iMacros V6.0.0.2 you can also run javascript macros automatically. If you use this option, you need to embed the macro code in the Javascript itself with the iimPlay ("CODE:...") command.

Example: Run Javascript Macro with an embedded Internet Macro.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:13 am

Since Version 6.0.1.0 iMacros has the Share Macro button on the "Edit" tab. It makes it even easier to share macros and scripts:

Just test it! :D
Kit

Re: A guide to sharing bookmarks, macros and scripts

Post by Kit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:45 pm

The bookmarking of a javascript macros didn't work for me. If you bookmark the SI-Send-Macro-Code.js demo script and click the bookmark. It will create the #Current.js file but will not run - the mouse pointer shows the hourglass.
I'm using the latest imacro firefox add-on and get the same result on a XP and Linux PC.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:24 am

Kit, do you see this dialog box when you select (start) the bookmark?
js run it.png
Javascript Security Prompt
js run it.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 130058 times
Kit

Post by Kit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:06 am

Yes I see the dialog and take the default "Run it" option. The #Current.js is created but does not run. I should add that I created the bookmark by choosing the "Run Anywhere" and "Firefox Bookmark" options. Hopefully you should be able to replicate it. (I've tried disabling all other firefox add-ons.)
Kit

Post by Kit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:24 am

Just to add if a #current.js already exists and highlighted then the bookmark works. So if want replicate it try deleting the #current.js file first.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Kit, this issue has been solved with the latest version V6.0.3.4: http://wiki.imacros.net/iMacros_for_Fir ... on_History

Thanks for reporting it!
Kit

Post by Kit » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for fixing it :D

The issues I have with iMacro are only cosmetic:
1. Could the supplied demos be located in a subdirectory?
2. When running a bookmark macro can the iMacro sidebar remain closed?

Feel free to ignore these suggestions as I am just happy I can now avoid the Turing tests that my bank accounts insist on.
curtis_olson

Post by curtis_olson » Wed May 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Everytime I try to run a bookmarked macro, I'm asked to install iMacro again. This is only happening with 6.0.4.1 release.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:14 pm

curtis_olson, this issue is resolved with v6.0.5.3.
meknow

Post by meknow » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Is there way to generate social scripting links automatically without clicking share macro?
Like batch file.
Tech Support

Post by Tech Support » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 pm

meknow, this is possible. The run.imacros.net syntax is fully documented. Please see this post: Creating macros on the fly
unoriju

Post by unoriju » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:49 am

Hi,

I want to share a few iMacros with my team members. Most of these imacros have the loop functionality. If I send them the link, it runs once and stops. Is there a better way users can import the iMacros to their list of favorites? How can I share these macros with others, without them copy-pasting the code?

Thanks,
Riju