ondownload failing to rename file

Discussions and Tech Support specific to the iMacros for Chrome extension.
Forum rules
Before asking a question or reporting an issue:
1. Please review the list of FAQ's.
2. Use the search box (at the top of each forum page) to see if a similar problem or question has already been addressed.
3. Try searching the iMacros Wiki - it contains the complete iMacros reference as well as plenty of samples and tutorials.
4. We can respond much faster to your posts if you include the following information: CLICK HERE FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN YOUR POST
iheartimacros
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:35 pm

ondownload failing to rename file

Post by iheartimacros » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm

I have a script that worked previously that needs to rename an xls file that it downloads.

The script is able to download the file properly other than it is now failing to rename the file with the name I specifiy and is simply downloading with the default file name.

I am using imacros for Chrome version 10.0.5

ONDOWNLOAD FOLDER=* FILE=EvanstonPayroll.xls WAIT=YES
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=CLASS:s-icon-btn<SP>s-export-to-excel-20px&&TITLE:Export<SP>to<SP>Excel&&ONCLICK:exportReport();

Thanks for any insight you might offer!
Enganacious
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by Enganacious » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:30 pm

I've ran into a similar issue, it doesn't seem to be universal however. It seems to be site specific. I have issues where I want to download say a .csv file or a .ofx file and iMacros for Chrome is saving it as .txt, it's rather bizarre.
chivracq
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm
Location: Amsterdam (NL)

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by chivracq » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 pm

iheartimacros wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm
I have a script that worked previously that needs to rename an xls file that it downloads.

The script is able to download the file properly other than it is now failing to rename the file with the name I specifiy and is simply downloading with the default file name.

I am using

Code: Select all

imacros for Chrome version 10.0.5

Code: Select all

ONDOWNLOAD FOLDER=* FILE=EvanstonPayroll.xls WAIT=YES
TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=CLASS:s-icon-btn<SP>s-export-to-excel-20px&&TITLE:Export<SP>to<SP>Excel&&ONCLICK:exportReport();
Thanks for any insight you might offer!
>>>
Enganacious wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:30 pm
I've ran into a similar issue, it doesn't seem to be universal however. It seems to be site specific. I have issues where I want to download say a .csv file or a .ofx file and iMacros for Chrome is saving it as .txt, it's rather bizarre.

Hum, alright, I'm "finally" approving your Post @Enganacious, as you seem to be "more active" than User @Trintech in "your" parallel/related Thread (Chrome downloading files as txt), so I "guess" you'll be 2 different Users/Colleagues and not one same Person with 2 Accounts... (Sorry, but I didn't understand your "Yup we are." to my 'OR' Question, you need to use a bit more "precise" Language on a Tech Forum, ah-ah...!)

>>>

And then, OK, but same Reply like in the "other' Thread, and that Reply applies also to @OP (=> @iheartimacros):
FCIM...! :mrgreen: (Read my Sig..., and the Forum Rules, all 3 of you...)

And I "think" both Threads have actually nothing specific to the 'iMacros for CR' Sub-Forum, I "suspect" you'll get the same Behaviour if you try on FF with iMacros for FF v10.0.2. But if I'm "correct", this will all become "clear" once you'll all mention your FCI... :idea:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
MIKES2ND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by MIKES2ND » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 am

I am also having an issue since the patch... Uhg this is causing a ton of work for me, i think ill downgrade if i can.

I am using the span also with a wait.... it waits forever... FIX THIS PLEASE

its a download from a drop down... click the drop down, the scrolling down click on download as txt and it just hangs...
chivracq
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm
Location: Amsterdam (NL)

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by chivracq » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:05 pm

MIKES2ND wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 am
I am also having an issue since the patch... Uhg this is causing a ton of work for me, i think ill downgrade if i can.

I am using the span also with a wait.... it waits forever... FIX THIS PLEASE

its a download from a drop down... click the drop down, the scrolling down click on download as txt and it just hangs...

Yeah, "FIX THIS PLEASE", ah-ah...! :P

But alright, 3rd User posting in this Thread, + the 2nd User also opened their own/parallel Thread, and some 4th User also opened a similar/possibly related Thread on SOF, => so I will soft-alert @TechSup about this Thread...

BUT...!, for all 3 (or 4 if I include the User on SOF), your Posts/Reports are all "Low Quality", (= Reason I didn't ping @TechSup "earlier"), and I'm "afraid" they won't be able to "do much" about it/them and try to reproduce your Issue(s?) because:
- Nobody mentioned their FCI, even if I asked several times... :roll:
- Thus nobody read the Forum Rules either...! :shock:
- No/Poor Follow-up from all Users...
- Only 1 User posted a (mini) Script, but with no URL.
- Nobody posted a "real"/complete Script with some "concrete" (public) Site for @TechSup to try to reproduce.
- Related to FCI, nobody mentioned if they are using the 'Free' or the 'PE' Version.
('ONDOWNLOAD' is limited/not supported in the 'Free' Version, at least the 'FOLDER' Param, and I'm not sure if the 'FILE' Param is supported/works when renaming the Filename, especially if the Path includes the whole or a different Path than the Default 'Downloads' Folder).
- Nobody mentioned the Status of their 'Hide File Extensions' Setting in 'File Explorer' for the Users on Win32/64 as OS. (Nobody mentioned their OS anyway...)

Then OK, "good Luck" with @TechSup who will take over once they'll notice my Soft-Alert... :|

>>>

+ @TechSup, I couldn't find any Demo Macro/Site offering some Test '.xls' File to download, only '.pdf' and '.mp4' on the 'PDF Test Page' and the 'SAVETARGETAS' Demo/Test Page... :o
=> Maybe an Idea to offer several File Extensions to download on one of those 2 Pages, including also '.txt' and '.xls', for Test Purpose and Bug Reports... (and to also include in your QA Testing for each New Release...). :idea:

+ The "Play Video" Link on the 'SAVETARGETAS' Page is Broken...! Oops...! :(

Code: Select all

http://demo.imacros.net/StaticPages/TestMovie.mp4
=> "Server Error: 404 - File or directory not found."
Here is the correct Link: :P :wink:

Code: Select all

http://demo.imacros.net/Content/TestMovie.mp4
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm
Location: Amsterdam (NL)

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by chivracq » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Some mini-Update from @TechSup, so they've "seen" my Soft-Alert...:
Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 pm
Hi chivracq,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll investigate the topic wrt. Chrome downloads a bit later. I actually just finished a project with iMacros for Chrome that didn't detect/handle the download at all, so I had to use some script code to watch for the download to appear in the user's default downloads folder and then move and rename the file myself. The behavior does seem to be site-specific, and I don't think it is caused by the recent update to iMacros. I have about 3 other projects in my queue currently and then I'll take a look.

Alright, so that means the User on SOF might be right then... :|

But hum, in the "meantime" for all Users, it would still be "handy" if you could still mention your FCI, and post the URL(s) of the Site(s) where you encounter the Issue(s), especially if those Sites are public, for @TechSup/@Dev to be able to reproduce and investigate the Pb... :idea:
The more Info they have, the better...!

Also if you could test on those Sites using another Browser, like FF with iMacros for FF v10.0.2 for example. (The 'PE' License also works for FF.)

(And for Sites requiring Login&Password, if you don't want to post those on the Forum, you have the possibility to "fake" report this Post where you can post that Info, and only @TechSup and myself can see your "Report"..., or @TechSup will be able to contact you per E-mail...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
MIKES2ND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by MIKES2ND » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:36 pm

im not on the free version

latest version. Just upgraded.

Windows Server 2012 R2
Chrome 86.0.4240.198 64 bit

Cant display site because of security

but its

TAG POS=1 TYPE=SPAN ATTR=CLASS:awsui-icon<SP>awsui-icon-normal<SP>awsui-icon-variant-normal (comment this is the download "drop down")
wait seconds=5 (comment, the drop down menu "fills" in with the as csv selection after a few seconds as the report generates)
ONdownload folder=x file=xyx.csv WAIT=YES
tag POS=2 type=LI Attr=TXT:As<SP>CSV<SP>(.csv) etc

it leaves a blue box where the as csv menu selection was(with gear) menu dissapears... box and gear stays forever and it downloads with default name of file
MIKES2ND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by MIKES2ND » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Im downgrading now. This worked fine in the previous version, i cant spend hours fixing it. Obviously its a real issue. Someone jacked something up :) so i can wait.
MIKES2ND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by MIKES2ND » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:28 pm

sigh downgrade didnt work for some reason... chrome just upgraded to 86.0.4240.198(that failed also)... im just screwed... I will try a Chrome downgrade...

went through the process again... it also patched chrome again. still failing with the dropdown list then click to select to download. Its the Span... now going to downgrade Chrome..

I guess its chomes fault?

spent two hours trying to downgrade... gave up... please fix this
Tom, Tech Support
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:28 pm

chivracq wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 pm
Some mini-Update from @TechSup, so they've "seen" my Soft-Alert...:
Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 pm
Hi chivracq,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll investigate the topic wrt. Chrome downloads a bit later. I actually just finished a project with iMacros for Chrome that didn't detect/handle the download at all, so I had to use some script code to watch for the download to appear in the user's default downloads folder and then move and rename the file myself. The behavior does seem to be site-specific, and I don't think it is caused by the recent update to iMacros. I have about 3 other projects in my queue currently and then I'll take a look.
Unfortunately, it's difficult to investigate specific cases when users can't/don't provide a URL or test macro that demonstrates the problem. Closing the report on this thread for now (the thread itself will remain open for new posts).
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
MIKES2ND
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:40 am

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by MIKES2ND » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:31 pm

d@mn... If i open a ticket i can only show it. I can't let you login to the site.

its a drop down that triggers different downloads (as excel, as text etc)...
chivracq
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm
Location: Amsterdam (NL)

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by chivracq » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:53 pm

Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:28 pm
chivracq wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 pm
Some mini-Update from @TechSup, so they've "seen" my Soft-Alert...:
Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:22 pm
Hi chivracq,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll investigate the topic wrt. Chrome downloads a bit later. I actually just finished a project with iMacros for Chrome that didn't detect/handle the download at all, so I had to use some script code to watch for the download to appear in the user's default downloads folder and then move and rename the file myself. The behavior does seem to be site-specific, and I don't think it is caused by the recent update to iMacros. I have about 3 other projects in my queue currently and then I'll take a look.
Unfortunately, it's difficult to investigate specific cases when users can't/don't provide a URL or test macro that demonstrates the problem. Closing the report on this thread for now (the thread itself will remain open for new posts).

Yep indeed, ah-ah...!, I'm "not surprised" and completely understand/agree, I had "waited for a long time" before pinging @TechSup about this Thread because of the "Low Quality" from all Users who posted in this Thread, like I "elaborated" in this Post a bit above, and in some parallel/related Thread, some other User "pinpointed" the Pb to some CR Update (v86...?), so yep-yep, it's still completely unclear to me where the Pb comes from, and I can completely understand @TechSup's "Stand"... :|

But hum, @TechSup, about "it's difficult to investigate specific cases when users can't/don't provide a URL or test macro that demonstrates the problem.", yep-yep, I agree, but hum..., maybe it "would help" if you also "did your part of the job", ah-ah...! :idea:
Wait-wait...!, let me explain (again)... In the same Post of mine, here is a Quote again:
chivracq wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:05 pm
+ @TechSup, I couldn't find any Demo Macro/Site offering some Test '.xls' File to download, only '.pdf' and '.mp4' on the 'PDF Test Page' and the 'SAVETARGETAS' Demo/Test Page... :o
=> Maybe an Idea to offer several File Extensions to download on one of those 2 Pages, including also '.txt' and '.xls', for Test Purpose and Bug Reports... (and to also include in your QA Testing for each New Release...). :idea:

+ The "Play Video" Link on the 'SAVETARGETAS' Page is Broken...! Oops...! :(

Code: Select all

http://demo.imacros.net/StaticPages/TestMovie.mp4
=> "Server Error: 404 - File or directory not found."
Here is the correct Link: :P :wink:

Code: Select all

http://demo.imacros.net/Content/TestMovie.mp4
... => You could react to that part as most Links are broken like I mentioned, and it would help if you could provide some Test Download Files in all different Formats, '.xls' / '.pdf' / etc..., like I suggested... :idea:
=> Then it would be "easier" for Users to post/provide a Script to reproduce (or not!) on those Demos, for when they underfind some Issue related to some "private" Site but can't provide Access to that Site... :idea:

>>>

(For "everybody", I have Internet Connection Pb's since a few days, not sure when I'll able to check this Thread again...)
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
Tom, Tech Support
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by Tom, Tech Support » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am

chivracq wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:53 pm
... => You could react to that part as most Links are broken like I mentioned, and it would help if you could provide some Test Download Files in all different Formats, '.xls' / '.pdf' / etc..., like I suggested... :idea:
Sorry, I either totally missed that or just forgot to respond. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again! I've logged tickets to get the link corrected and implement the suggestion of additional test files on the demo download page.
Regards,

Tom, iMacros Support
chivracq
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm
Location: Amsterdam (NL)

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by chivracq » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:43 am

Tom, Tech Support wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:15 am
chivracq wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:53 pm
... => You could react to that part as most Links are broken like I mentioned, and it would help if you could provide some Test Download Files in all different Formats, '.xls' / '.pdf' / etc..., like I suggested... :idea:
Sorry, I either totally missed that or just forgot to respond. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again! I've logged tickets to get the link corrected and implement the suggestion of additional test files on the demo download page.

OK, Thanks and yep indeed, would be "handy for everybody" if you had a Demo-Page providing Test Download Files in "all" Formats, handy for Users to test/reproduce, and would also make you "Life" easier, the Demo is "Leading", if it works on the Demo, then Users need to provide a "Proof" that it "doesn't work" on "their" specific Site... :wink:
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
chivracq
Posts: 9721
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm
Location: Amsterdam (NL)

Re: ondownload failing to rename file

Post by chivracq » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:05 pm

+ A 2nd User on SOF also reporting the same "Issue"/Behaviour...:
- iMacros Chrome Extension SAVEAS TYPE issue

FCI not mentioned (they only mention "iMacros Chrome Extension") and no URL(s) posted either, I'm including a Quote of that Qt/Thread from SOF here as most Qt's/Threads about iMacros on SOF get automatically deleted by some overzealous "Cleaning Bot" after 1 week if they get any (-1)...:
ekristofferson wrote: iMacros Chrome Extension SAVEAS TYPE issue

I've been able to figure out how to ensure the iMacros Chrome extension saves files in the location I would like them to be saved. But I am still running into an issue where some sites are saving via direct download and not allowing the iMacros extension to change the file name or the file type.

Code: Select all

ONDOWNLOAD FOLDER=* FILE=* WAIT=YES
'scripted download step
SET !EXTRACT {{!DOWNLOADED_FILE_NAME}}
TAB OPEN
TAB T=2
URL GOTO={{!DOWNLOADED_FILE_NAME}}
SAVEAS TYPE=? FOLDER=* FILE=FileName.abc
Now I can use the supported options for SAVEAS TYPE=(CPL|MHT|HTM|TXT|EXTRACT|BMP|PNG|JPEG) and it will save, for example with EXTRACT "FileName.abc.csv". My question is if there's a way to have it save as just "FileName.abc".
- (F)CI(M) = (Full) Config Info (Missing): iMacros + Browser + OS (+ all 3 Versions + 'Free'/'PE').
- I don't even read the Qt if that (required) Info is not mentioned...!
- Script & URL help a lot for more "educated" Help...
Post Reply